From 1st July, Google will change the way that you input tracking information to your ad URLs with a new feature called ‘Upgraded URLs’.
WHAT ARE UPGRADED URLS?
Upgraded URLs are a new way of structuring information within your AdWords account. As part of Upgraded URLs, ‘Destination URLs’ (the URLs that people click on to get to your landing page) will be replaced by ‘Final URLs’.
Currently ‘Destination URLs’ contain tracking parameters within the URL. The new upgraded URLs will simplify these URLs, adding just two fields to manage the destination URL and tracking information separately. You can input all of your tracking information into a separate field within AdWords, which will then be applied to the URL.
The goals of Upgraded URLs are to:
- reduce time spent managing URL tracking updates
- reduce crawl and load times on your site
- garner additional insights about your ads
HOW DO I UPGRADE MY URLS?
How you go about upgrading your URLs will depend on your AdWords account, but it’s likely that the following instructions will apply to you.
- Download your ads and keywords into a spreadsheet. You can do this by logging in to your AdWords account and going to Ads > Edit > Download.
- The spreadsheet will contain a Destination URL column containing your current URL and tracking code. For each campaign, copy your Destination URL and place it in the new Final URL field, removing any tracking code. Put the tracking code into the Tracking Template field.
- The Destination URL column should now be completely empty.
- Save the spreadsheet and upload it to AdWords in Ads > Edit > Upload spreadsheet.
- Add any tracking parameters to the tracking template field to gather additional information.
- By upgrading your URLs before the automated switch, you won’t lose any of your performance data and your ads will not need to be reviewed again. If they are upgraded automatically, however, they will be resubmitted for review.
We’d recommend that you begin upgrading your URLs as soon as possible and by no later than 30th June. If you need any help at all, please get in touch with the partner team who will be happy to help.
If you have any questions about how to upgrade your URLs, get in touch with the Partner team today.
PR & Comms Executive
White Label Dating